About Us
Resize Text:+ -   

logo

 

about

HISTORY

Dr. mayUplands Village grew out of an American Missionary Association project that established the Pleasant Hill Academy in 1884, soon followed by the founding of the Pleasant Hill Community Church. Thus began the close connection between what would become Uplands Village and the Congregational Churches that would become today's United Church of Christ. In 1917, the Rev. Edwin Wharton arrived to serve as principal of the Academy, accompanied by his wife, Dr. May Cravath Wharton. "Doctor May" served as the school doctor, but soon began ministering to the medical needs of the wider community. Often making house calls on horseback into the remote hills and "hollers," this tireless woman found the resources to build a small hospital in Pleasant Hill. She went on to found what is now the 182-bed Cumberland Medical Center in Crossville. Finally, seeing the need to house and care for those who had spent their lives in service to others, she built the original Wharton Nursing Home and the first independent-living cottages surrounding it. Drawing on the words of a favorite poem by James Clark, she named her village "Uplands." Today's Uplands Village is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to continuing the legacy of this remarkable "Doctor Woman of the Cumberlands."

Pleasant Hill Historical Society

Pioneer Museum

Uplands Village | P.O. Box 168 | Pleasant Hill, TN 38578 | Phone: (931) 277-3518

 

                 Eden Alternative